Thursday 22 April 2010

Texas Sheet Cake

Okay, so I have a confession to make. I don't just love Texas Sheet Cake. I am more a brownie out of the Betty Crocker Box kind of gal. But there is one thing I do love. The batter to Texas Sheet Cake. I know, there are some of you that are going to call the Salmonella police on me, but it is a fact. I LOVE almost any kind of batter, dough, or uncooked sweet thing there is. Texas Sheet Cake takes the cake though. (Pun intended.) I could eat the entire amount of batter in one sitting. No, I haven't done this but I could.

This is a staple at any big event. "Why?", you ask, because it makes a ton. Plus it is pretty tasty. (Even if I don't prefer it) My friend Joy gave me her Grandma's recipe. It is a pretty good one. I have never even seen if my grandma has one. I should look into that. Anyway, people love this one.
2 cups butter
1 cup water
4 T cocoa

In a small pan on medium low heat melt the butter, water, and cocoa. Set aside once melted and mixed well.

In a large mixing bowl add:

2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
Stir, then add:

2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
Stir then add:

Melted cocoa mixture. make sure it has cooled a little.
Mix all ingredents then pour in a large greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Frosting:

4 T cocoa
1 cube butter
6 T Milk
Melt the cocoa, butter, and milk together over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low for 3 min.
Remove from heat and add:
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Pour this over the sheet cake after the cake has cooled. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. You do have your grandma's recipe. It is in the cookbook I gave you titled Texas Sheath Cake. That is what Grandma called it and I think it is just about the same. It is good, I have to agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo craving brownies now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, you just brought back some yummy childhood memories! My mom would make this ALL THE TIME and I could never get enough of it! (We're from Amarillo!) And, I had to check out your blog because we have the same name! People like to call me "megs" too! Heh.

    ReplyDelete