Friday 23 April 2010

Danish Almond Puff

When I take a bite of this my insides smile. It is one of the most delectable, delicious, treats I have ever had. Do you ever go to special events like a bridal shower or luncheon and wonder how they make such wonderful delicious pastries? When ever I see Danish Almond Puff I think that very thing. It looks like something I could never make in a million years, plus it tastes like heaven. I won't kid you, it is a little complicated but not so much that you can't make it. It isn't something you will make all the time like cookies but it is perfect for those special occasions.

I assumed this recipe would be to complicated for me so I always skipped over it, until my mom suggested that I make it for a baby shower we were hosting. It was for my cousin and so I figured if it flopped she would forgive me. I made it and it turned out great. This just shows that it is not to complicated of a recipe.

My mom made these for my daughters baptism so I can't claim these ones
but hey, I needed a picture. Thanks MOM!
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup flour
2 T. water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1 tsp almond extract
3 large eggs
Powdered sugar icing
sliced almonds

Cut 1/2 cup butter into 1 cup flour as for pastry. Add 2 T. water. Mix with a fork until ball forms. Divide. On ungreased baking sheet (12x16 inches) pat each portion of dough with hands into strip 12x3 inches spacing strips about 3 inches apart.

In saucepan bring 1 cup water to boil. Add butter. Cook until butter is melted. Add 1 cup flour all at once cooking and stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture pulls away from sides of pan to gather into a smooth ball. Remove pan from heat. Stir in Almond extract. Add egg one at a time beating after each until smooth. Divide dough in half. Spread each half evenly over on pastry strip. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until golden brown.

While still warm frost with powdered sugar icing. Sprinkle generously with sliced almonds. Cool. Slice diagonally to serve. Serves about 12. Enjoy!

Powdered Sugar Icing

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 T butter
1/2 tsp almond extract
1-2 T water

No comments:

Post a Comment