Wednesday 29 December 2010

Country Boy Breakfast Casserole

My friends got together for a morning brunch on my birthday. Everyone brought something to share (except me of course). It was a lot of fun. I feel spoiled by the good friendships that I have made over the years. There is just something about getting together with a group of my girlfriends that just makes my heart smile. Anyway on this particular day one of my girlfriends brought a breakfast casserole that was to die for. Mmmmm!! Actually there were a few dishes that I just loved. This one though was just heaven and an added plus was I knew my hubby and the kids would LOVE it. It is one of those make the night before dinners which is perfect for a person like me who hates mornings. That way I can get all the hard work out of the way the night before and then just pop it in the oven in the morning.

2 bags of frozen shredded hash browns
1 lb cooked ham (deli honey ham)
4 cups shredded cheese
6 eggs
1/2 pint half and half (1 cup)
salt and pepper
1 large yellow onion, sauteed
1 lb cooked bacon

Cook hash browns in a 9x13 pan for 1 hour at 400. Mix eggs, half and half and salt and pepper. I cooked my bacon and then sauteed the onions in the bacon grease until they started to caramelize. Layer bacon, ham, cheese, and onion on top of the cooked hash browns. Poor egg mixture over top and cook for 45 min at 350.

(If you choose to make this the night before do everything except pour the egg mixture over the casserole in the morning. I still prepare this the night before so that I don't have to do it in the morning.)

1 comment: