Monday 15 February 2010

No-Bake Cookies

I don't think these were ever made in my home growing up, but I do remember when they were on the menu for school lunch and I would get so excited. They were called Haystacks in school. I loved them. I would always try to find a way to get more than one. Who knew these cookies were so easy to make. Even in elementary I could have made these just fine.

When I got married Jeron would talk about these cookies that his sisters would make all the time called No-Bake cookies. I thought that it would be some weird cookie if you didn't bake them. Little did I know he was talking about my childhood favorite school treat. It wasn't until our neighbors brought us a plate of cookies a couple of years ago that we put two and two together. Jeron said "these are no bake cookies," at the same time I was saying these are "Haystacks". We had a good laugh about it. Dorks, I know. We were just both so excited that we now could make our old yummy favorite.


2 cups sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups quick oats

In a medium sauce pan combine sugar, cocoa, butter, and milk. Bring to a boil. Let it boil for at least one minute. In a mixing bowl add salt, peanut butter, and quick oats. Add vanilla to the cocoa sauce once you remove it from the heat. Add the cocoa sauce to the oats mixture. stir together.

On a sheet of wax paper drop a heaping tablespoon of the cookies onto the paper. It makes about 20-25 cookies. Let them cool. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment