Wednesday 24 February 2010

Strawberry Spinach Salad

This reminds me of the girls. It reminds me of showers for babies, showers for brides, and times when the girls get together. I think we eat this about every time I see my cousins for a special event. I love when there is a family recipe that is never overdone. No mater how many times you eat this it never gets old.

I love that I have a go to salad when I am invited to showers, parties, or friendly gatherings. I know that if I make this people will try to find out who made it so they can get the recipe. This salad is that salad. Not only is is delicious, but it is EASY! Yes, delicious and easy. What more can you ask for.



1 pound bag spinach
1-2 heads leaf lettuce
1 pint fresh strawberries sliced and/or Mandarin oranges.
1 large egg white
1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds or pecans
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp orange zest (grated orange peel)

*Beat egg whites until frothy. Dip almonds in egg whites. Mix sugar and orange zest. Dip almonds in mixture. Spread on cookie sheet. Bake at 300 degrees for 10 minutes. Stir and bake for 5 more minutes.

Dressing:
1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp poppy seeds
2 tsp dry minced onion
1/4 cup canola oil

Toss greens, Garnish with strawberries and almonds on top. Pour dressing on just before serving.

*I sometimes don't have the time to do the almonds the way it says. Instead I put the almonds and sugar in a pan and heat on medium heat until the sugar melts and the almonds start to brown. It takes about 10 minutes. It seems like it will never change and then it changes really fast. Make sure you stir constantly. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. It was a great salad and I enjoyed very much. I will try it soon. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete