Tuesday 16 February 2010

Steak Fajitas

Jeron is convinced that I have a little Latino in me. I love Mexican food. Granted this is my Americanized version of Fajitas. I use to make these when I lived in my first apartment. They were easy and not to expensive for a yummy meal.

I remember when I lived with my grandma I made these one night for her. She kept yelling into the kitchen saying "What is that smell? I don't think I will eat dinner tonight." I just laughed and kept making my yummy dinner. When I brought it out to her she very hesitantly ate a bite. She then said "Who knew you could cook!" It made me laugh. She loved to tease me and this is a fond memory I have of the days I lived with her.

1 pound Top Sirloin strips
1 large green pepper sliced
1 large red pepper sliced
1 medium onion sliced
1 T olive oil
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp crushed oregano
1/4 cup water (dry climates only)
2 tsp. lime juice (optional)

Toppings:
Tortillas
Guacamole
Sour Cream
Salsa or diced tomatoes
Colby Jack cheese

In a fry pan heat oil. Cook peppers, and onion on medium high heat until tender. Stirring constantly. Set aside on a plate. In the same fry pan cook the beef. I cook it on medium heat until it is cooked through. Then add black pepper, chili pepper, cumin, garlic powder, crushed oregano, water, and lime juice. Simmer this all together with the meat. Then turn up your heat and sear the meat on one side. This will give it a smoked taste. Mmmmm Return veggies to the skillet and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.

Place in a tortilla and top with your favorite toppings. Wrap up. Enjoy! Serve with Spanish rice, beans, lettuce.

1 comment:

  1. I think Summer and Parker have a little Latino in them as well. They could live on Mexican food. I just made your chicken and broccoli cassrole tonight and it was so yummy! I have one that I usually make but i really think I like yours better. I just printed off some more recipes and am so excited to try them. Hope you dont mind that I just made myself at home on your blog.

    ReplyDelete