Monday 29 March 2010

Chicken Quesadillas

I love quesadillas. I get them when we go out to Americanized restaurants. I started making them a few years back after my friend had me over for lunch and she just whipped some up for me. I realized just how easy they were and love the new option. I discovered that one of the reasons I love Cafe Rio is because they brown their tortillas. I figured out that I can just use my stove top without a pan. On medium low heat it has worked perfectly for me. It has opened up a whole new world. The best part is my stove is usually very clean thanks to my awesome hubby. I love not having an extra dish to do.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced
1 large sweet onion, coarsely diced
5-10 T olive oil, divided
Fajita seasoning to taste
2 bell peppers, any color, coarsely chopped.
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced (optional)

Inside the tortilla:

Jalapeno 's (Optional)
Colby Jack Cheese or Cheddar
Ranch dressing(Optional)

In a fry pan, fry chicken and onion in 1-2 T oil. Add fajita seasoning to taste until chicken is cooked and onions are tender. In a separate pan, fry peppers in 1-2 T oil, until crisp-tender, adding the mushrooms to the peppers during the last 4-5 minutes of frying. Combine all together.

Brown the tortilla on the stove top(only flat surface), at medium low heat, for 1-2 minutes. Flip and repeat on this side only add the cheese, Jalapeno's, and chicken mixture to 1/2 of the tortilla. Once the cheese has melted remove from heat and spread a thin layer of ranch dressing. Fold and dip in all the other ingredients. Enjoy.

Topping:

Salsa
Lettuce
Guacamole
Black Beans

1 comment:

  1. I tried your trick of cooking right on the stovetop and it worked! My Hubby was really worried and kept asking me to just do it in the pan (he says I always burn myself or hurt myself in the kitchen, so you can see why he was worried about me putting food right on the burner!). But anyway, I thought they turned out great this way, better than the pan! Thanks for the great idea! Tonee

    ReplyDelete