Sunday 16 May 2010

Watermelon Lemonade

This is a new recipe for me. I made it with my kids and I recommend that you make it with older kids, cause my little ladies made a mess of my kitchen while making this. It was fun for them though. This may be an acquired taste. The mint leaves was not my kids favorite. Maybe eliminate the mint for kids. Then again my 5 year old had 3 glasses. My hubby was not a fan, but I liked it. I maybe would add less mint for my taste bubs

It is actually fairly easy to make and I think it is delicious. It is out of Everyday Food by Martha Stewart Issue 54. I LOVE her Everyday Food Cookbooks. They have some of my most favorite recipes in them. The cookbooks are coordinated by month so it usually uses ingredients that are good in that season. This issue is for July/August so of course she had a Watermelon recipe. I just happened to get lucky at Sam's Club. They were taste testing the yummiest watermelon. It is extremely early for here...so like I said LUCKY us.

2 Lemons, quartered
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 medium seedless watermelon flesh cut into chunks.

Squeeze lemons into a large pitcher; add squeezed lemon quarters. Add mint and sugar; mash with a wooden spoon until mint is bruised and sugar is dissolved

In a blender, puree watermelon in batches until smooth: pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a pitcher (you should have about 8 cups juice). Stir to combine. Serve over ice. Refiderate covered for up to 3 days. Enjoy!

2 comments: