Friday 8 January 2010

French Bread

This is one of my favorite recipes. My hubby loves bread with his meals. I use to have to run to the store every time we had spaghetti, which is quite often since I let the kids pick the meal every once in a while. Emma is always going to pick spaghetti. I got sick of having an easy dinner but a drive to the store. Plus this bread tastes so much better than the bread at my local grocery store. This has changed my world. It takes about 2-2 1/2 hours to make. So if I remember that we are having spaghetti than I can whip this up in the afternoon.

2 cups warm water
2 T sugar
2T yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
3T oil
5-51/2 cups flour (enough to hold it's shape)

In a mixing bowl put water, sugar, and yeast. Let this sit until it is foamy on top about 5-10 min. Add oil, salt and flour one cup at a time. Need for 5-10 min. Let it rise in a warm place until it doubles in size. Punch down, break the dough into 2 equal parts. Take one and roll into a snake like shape. Do the same with the other. Place on a cookie sheet side by side. In the top cut three horizontal marks with a knife before it rises. (this is to make it pretty) Let rise for 45-60min. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Brush butter over the top while still hot. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. WHATEVER MARTHA!!! Jk. I am going to try this. BTW - nice photography work too. ;)

    ReplyDelete