Friday 8 January 2010

Spaghetti with Meatballs

This recipe I found in one of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food. If you don't have any of these magazines you should! They are the best. There is at least one recipe I have liked in each issue. I stopped buying them because I have about 20. This recipe is super easy and yummy! I am not a fan of Ragu or Prego but I understand how nice it is to whip up an easy dinner. This is almost as easy. Especially if you have pre-made meatballs. This is the same recipe that I use for my hamburgers. Whenever I make my hamburger's I always make a little extra so I can make some meatballs to go with my spaghetti. I put the actually Martha recipe on this but I don't do everything she does. *To see my easier version go to the bottom.

Meatballs:

1 large egg
1/4 c water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs or oats
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving.
1 lb hamburger. (you can also use ground pork and ground turkey)
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning.
2 T. olive oil

In a large bowl, whisk together egg, 1/4 cup water, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Stir in half the onion and half the garlic. Add breadcrumbs, cheese, meat, and Italian seasoning. Mix together. Roll into golf ball size balls. (If you have time chill for 1/2 hour to help them keep their shape.)

Heat 1 T oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add half the meatballs; brown on all sides, 4-6 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. Cook remaining meatballs in remaining 1 T. oil; remove the meatballs.

Now for the sauce:

1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
3 garlic cloves, minced
rest of the onion

In the same pan add remaining onions, cook over medium low heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and Italian seasoning; cook 30 seconds. Season with salt an pepper. Stir in tomatoes and 3/4 cup water. Return meatballs; cover, and simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove meatballs.

3/4 pound spaghetti.

Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water cook spaghetti according to package directions until al dente. Drain; return to pot. Toss with sauce; serve meatballs on top, sprinkle with more cheese.

*I follow the meatball recipe, but I double it. I freeze the ones I don't think we will eat. I cook them and everything before I freeze them.

I a large sauce pan pour in the crush tomatoes. add the Italian seasoning, garlic. Don't bother with the onions. (unless you REALLY want them) Either get the frozen meatballs or the ones you just made. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until frozen meatballs are hot. See what I mean...easy!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment