Sunday 13 December 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup

Nothing feels better than a bowl of warm homemade chicken noodle soup when you are feeling sick. Before I got married I made chicken noodle soup one time. I was so upset with my mom for having me make dinner for that night that I thought "I'll show you..." I started adding ever condiment that I could think of to make it taste gross. Well my better judgment won out and I settled for just putting pickle juice in the soup. Let me tell you, this little act of rebellion served me well. There was something about the pickle juice that just gave the soup a slight but wonderful kick. So I am not sure my lesson was learned. Sometimes it pays to be rebellious.

8 C chicken broth
2 C diced cooked chicken
1 C milk
2 C sliced carrots
1 C sliced celery
2 C diced potatoes
1/2 C chopped onion
1 clove garlic minced
3 T pickle juice:)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Thickening:
2T. Butter
1/4 C Flour
1/2 C Milk
While the soup is cooking melt butter on medium heat in a small sauce pan. Whisk in flour. Stir in milk. Stir until it is all dissolved into the milk.


In a large pot combine everything. Cook over medium heat until veggies are crisp and tender. This takes about 10-15 minutes. Add 6 oz noodles. Add the thickening. Cook until noodles are soft.

My friend Nichole taught me how to make noodles. Here is her recipe.
1 tsp. salt
2 C. flour
3 eggs
1 T oil
2-4 T cold water
Place flour and salt in a large bowl make a depression in the center. Add eggs and oil. Gradually stir in flour from edges by adding water one T at a time until it forms a ball. Divide into 4 parts. ON a floured surface roll one part at a time in a paper thin rectangle. Cut lengthwise into thirds and cut it crosswise into strips 3/4 inch apart. Set strips on towel until stiff and dry. Cook in boiling salted water (our soup) until tender. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment