Wednesday 2 December 2009

Clam Chowder

When the weather outside is yucky, cold, and nasty there is nothing better than a yummy bowl of soup. Jeron has really not wanted me to make soup for about the first 10 years of our marriage. Well last year we were sitting in our nook and and the wind was blowing, the snow was falling. I was getting cold just looking at the weather. I looked down at my salad that I had made for dinner. That was it, I had had it. I looked Jeron square in the eyes and said "Hon, from now on we are eating soup every Wednesday night in the winter whether you like it our not". He just looked at me like I was crazy and said"Okay?"

Yes it lasted about 3 weeks and then I forgot that Wednesday was soup night. I did learn though that soup was on. At first I learned that Jeron actually liked more soups then he even knew he liked. Clam Chowder is one of them. This post is for Jeron. He thinks it is the best Clam Chowder he has ever had.
Clam Chowder and Breadstick

1 Cup Onion finely diced
1 Cup Celery finely diced
2 Cups Peeled Potatoes finely diced
2 Cans (6 1/2 ounce) minced or chopped clams
3/4 Cup butter
3/4 Cup Flour
1 quart half and half or milk
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Drain juice from clams and pour the juice over the vegetables in a small sauce pan. Add enough water to barely cover and simmer, covered over medium heat until barely tender. Meanwhile, melt butter and add flour and blend. Cook stirring constantly. Add cream and cook and stir with wire whisk until smooth and thick. (Very important). Add undrained vegetables and clams and heat through. Season to taste. Makes 8 servings. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment